Tuesday, December 06, 2005

In Praise of Los Lobos

You know, the more I think about it the angrier I become, and although it's not an obsession, per se, it is something that comes up every couple of days.

It's about the Latin Grammys . . . and the lack of Los Lobos.

Where are my guys?

I mean, if you want to talk about a band that has brought Latino music directly into American culture, there is NO other band or person who has done such. I mean, listen to any album by Los Lobos, or any spin-off side project they've done (Latin Playboys and Los Super Seven are the ones I've encountered, although there might be more), and you can not escape the fact that first: they are master musicians - they can play ANY style in the New World. From Alaskan Icicle Rap to Tierra Del Fuego Rock, and everything in between. Secondly, they love what they do. That just shows in the sounds.

With such diversity and with such prolificity, why in the hell were they not represented at the Latin Grammys? I mean, Marc Antony won something, and I don't know of anything he's ever done except marry J-Lo and be some snotty New Yorker. Shakira won something and while she is definitely a Dancing Goddess and supremely talented, she certainly hasn't been very prolific . . . musically.

And for that matter, why didn't Bacilos get anything? Those guys definitely have the makings of another Los Lobos. Occasionally a little off the deep end, but when they hit a good song it's a GREAT song.

Any ideas/comments/snarls, as always, are not only expected, but encouraged.

VG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home