Monday, October 03, 2005

Living in Spanglish

I should write a review of this book on my other blog, but I didn't really finish the book, because after about halfway through it I realized that it wasn't really a book about Spanglish, or hispanic-americans, but just another book about New Yorkers.

Actually, that's kind of funny in and of itself, because the writer had promoted this book as being about the influence of Latino culture on American culture, and I thought, GREAT! MORE INFO!!!

And as I continued, it was mainly about Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and their influence on music and television - also a lot of mention about Cuban influences. I mean, this writer had several pages devoted solely to Marc Antony and Jennifer Lopez, for goodness sake! Mark Antony! Get real.

So, actually, what was supremely funny about this is this:

Manhattan/New York thinks that "America" begins at the edge of the Atlantic and ENDS at the Hudson River. Everything else is a vague, hazy wasteland that ends with LA. And THIS book, Living in Spanglish, although it purports to be a book extolling Hispanic culture, it really is simply another example of BIG APPLE VANITY.

Makes me smile, every time!

VG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home