Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Nación Azteca

Anoche Univision was celebrating Mexican Independence. However, they referred to themselves as the "Nación Azteca."

Personally I have a problem with that (and yes, feel free to discount what I say because I'm nothing but a "loudmouthed gringo" - sure you may travel that line of reasoning, but that WOULD BE logically incorrect!) The Mexican "raza" if there is one, is a mixture of Spanish and the indigenous peoples found there. North and Central Mexico was Aztec - the southern was Maya - however, what is considered "Mexican" by today's standards is a mixture. Basically, modern day Mexicans come from Europe . . . igual de los Aztecas.

I know these days it's quite popular to dismiss one's European roots, since the Europeans are the world's whipping boys for EVERYTHING that's gone wrong in the world, but it's simply incorrect to dismiss one side of yourself in favor of another.

Such as Halle Barry and Tiger Woods claiming to be black instead of white and asian as well.

God, can't we all just put "race" behind us and declare ourselves ONE race: the HUMAN RACE.

La Raza Humana. La Nación Humana.

My wife says I should be more understanding of Mexican culture. In my mind, I understand it better than their advertisers. But then, again, I'm just a overbearing americano, right? So I s'pose debo aplacarme ahorita, cierto? OK, then . . .

descúlpenme.

VG

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here here. Who gives a damn about the race thing?

Thanks for stopping by my blog. And, BTW, if you want to eliminate spam in your comments, you can turn the "word verification" on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home