Saturday, November 05, 2005

Latin Grammys 2005

I like the Latin Grammys about as much as I like the Miss Black America pageant, meaning I really don't like it for pretty much the same reason.

Exclusion.

As Carl Sandberg said in a video full of interviews that I had once and watched religiously and now can no longer find: "The most horrible word in the English language is 'exclusion.' When you're excluded you're shut out." (but he had this haunting drawl to the words that simply doesn't translate to the written quote . . . if I ever find it and can convert it to a wav file I'll include it here, but until then you'll just have to use your imagination.)

Basically put, the Latin Grammys exclude the ingleshablantes porque los hispanohablantes se sienten excluded from the English-speaking part of America. Full stop. End Transmission. That's it right there.

But then again, on the other side of the coin, this also covers artists who don't have a category in the "regular" Grammy's. Leastways I don't see no Norteño o Cumbia at those English Grammy's. Ni Reggaeton (although I guarantee there will be prob'ly next year!)

SOOO maybe I shouldn't see the "Latin" Grammys as necessarily exclusionary, but more of an inclusion of certain musical styles that are popular only with a certain segment of the New World (which is this entire hemisphere, and a beautifully diverse one it is, too!)

Plus . . . Ana Barbara es bailarina muy muy caliente, no?

VG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home