Friday, January 30, 2009

The City Seems Deserted Now

When I first started blogging this particular blog in 2005, it seemed as though there was a thriving Hispanic community in the city where I live, and I had a front seat to watch the blending of the two cultures, and being a cunning linguist (entendre doble intended!) I wanted to chronicle the language, as you probably know if you bothered to read my other posts in this blog.

But in the past few years, my city and my state has fallen prey to fearmongering and shameless selfishness, and the fear of anything different. And so it established laws that scared people into leaving.


And so, most days, I'm left here like a sofa on the sidewalk, waiting for somebody to come by and pay a little attention to me.




and, of course,

I could rage forever against that injustice, but smallmindedness in America is like a brick wall - you can bang your head against it all you want but all you'll get is a self-inflicted concussion.




So, that's it, it seems - nobody really left to study language.

Suppose I'll have to move to Houston.
Or maybe Austin. Austin sounds nice.








1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger JJSS said...

You should consider moving to DR. A lot of opportunities for a foreign as English teacher while getting some fun at the beach ;). For you it should be as 1 or 2 year of vacations and the opportunity to master your Spanish; for some Dominicans the opportunity to learn and master English from you.

Just think about it :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home