Thursday, November 08, 2007

Sarah Silverman enjoys illegal immigrants

The reason why I would even give her the space on this blog of all blogs is to make one point about her show this week - the commercial itself was offensive enough and although I tried not to, I did catch the tail end of one episode (as I switched to Comedy Central, looking for Scrubs) whose point was that to be a maid in Sarah's house pays more than being a mayor of a small town in Mexico (which may have some truth to it).

Regardless, the commercial is in a country club, tennis players, some rich lady complaining about illegal immigrants, Sarah says, "Hey, illegal immigrants aren't here for us to insult . . .

"They're here for us to enjoy."

Actually, I'll make two points, and I'll make them simply,

1) It's very dangerous to denigrate another part of humanity - when you start putting people on somehow a lesser level, only suppression and murder can result.

2) Everyone needs to remember that, regardless of what side you come down on in the debate (pro- or anti-"illegal" immigrants) they ARE human beings, and as such, are entitled certain human rights. Such as some modicum of decency and respect.

(OK - I'll make more points)

3) I think Sarah essentially has shown her rank cowardice, because she is targeting a VERY easy target. At this moment, it seems EVERYBODY hates Mexicans. They're an easy target, because there are no repercussions. I guarantee you that if she ran the skit and substituted the words "Blacks" "Gays" or "Jews" in place of illegal immigrants, her show would be yanked off the air (if it even ever got aired)

4) It's not even funny. Can anyone truly find comparing a human being to some THING to be "enjoyed" funny? I mean, really? If anybody reading that finds it funny and can truly explain why that is humorous, please let me know. I don't think you can make any sort of rational argument for that.

Oh well. Hide behind Freedom of Speech. (That's what I'm going to do with this post)

¡Qué Díos les bendiga!!!!

VG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home